Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Happy Easter!!

A little late...I have been a little MIA since Easter hit!

To celebrate Spring I decided to chop off all my hair again. The lovely Virginia at Reflections on the downtown mall has become my new hairstylist and she did a great job. I actually found out about her at my friend Crystal's wedding in Centreville. I loved her work and turns out she works right where I live!

Holy Week we welcomed lots of visitors! John's sister and brother-in-law, Michelle and Steve, stayed with us for a few days along with the nieces Olivia and Maggie! We had fun showing off the new house, but quickly realized how NOT baby proof it is! Within minutes Maggie had nail polish and a glass coaster in her hand, and was headed towards the stairs. Later the next day I was walking on the downtown mall with Michelle, her friend Mini, and the baby and we came across an elderly lady who had fallen and cracked her head on the brick street. Ironically I had just taken a CCRN class on the brain and head trauma so I got to spring right into action. Don't usually enjoy spending my days holding pressure to head wounds, getting my hands covered in blood, and securing C-spines but it made me feel like a good citizen none the less.

Soon after, my brother Brad arrived from Virginia Tech for the weekend. Then as soon as the Agan's left my family came into town! We had a fun time playing with wax lips, eating Easter candy, making delicious rice crispy treat eggs, and wine tasting at Barboursville Vineyards. We got to take a tour, which was a first for me, and got the inside scoop on how wine is made. Pleasantly tipsy, I came home with 3 delicious bottles. Their best was the Phileo, a white dessert wine.

The next day Brad left us to return to school and we welcomed John's brother, Matt and his wife Laurie. Unfortunately Matt had broken his thumb on duty, but lucky for us that meant they got to get an Easter vacation to see the fam in Richmond and stop by our new place.

All in all it was a marathon of hosting! We had a lot of fun though!

For Easter our Life Teen Band at church got assigned once again to the 6:30 AM Easter Sunrise Mass. There is something cool to be said about being at church, celebrating the Resurrection just like the women in the bible did, but it doesn't make it any less painful. We had a great potluck brunch afterward which always makes me thankful for such a wonderful group of musicians and friends to minister with on a weekly basis.


Recently we just got back from a 3 day trip to NYC with some church friends! We had a blast!! Here's a list of the highlights:
  • John's first Amtrak experience
  • Paying a homeless man to show us to the correct subway at Penn Station, he was very nice!
  • Staying at Carmen's aunt and uncle's: a pent house apartment overlooking the Hudson
  • Getting my makeup done in the city by a man who called me "darling"
  • Buying too much custom makeup and blaming it on my upcoming birthday
  • Convincing my husband to buy me a silk dress from Macy's (thanks Sarah!) and then buying patent leather yellow designer shoes to go with it on clearance ;)
  • Experiencing a Yankee's game in the bleachers at the new stadium
  • Getting time to catch up with my dear friend Sarah but then wishing I could've put my foot in my mouth :P I am thankful for life-long friends who don't kill me.
  • Fine dining
  • Cigar bar and a limo ride home
  • Well made martinis
  • Feeling very out of place at the Ralph Lauren mansion, where items were called "pieces"
  • Avenue Q on Broadway
  • Beautiful weather
  • Street market where I bought some pashminas and a $20 versace purse ;)
  • chill time with good friends
  • Hailing cabs (I love it!)
  • The thrill that being in NYC can bring
That about raps it up!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, for the record, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of that tidbit you shared inadvertently! And not a small amount of closure, too.

    It was fantastic to see you two. I'll likely head south at some point this summer, and swing by. :-)

    ReplyDelete