Thursday, February 12, 2009

freeeeedom!

Oh my goodness the oppression of shift work has hit me this week. Two call in's this week for a grand total of 5 shifts in a 7 day period. ouch!!! This always happens at the worst possible time, never fails!
Every time I try to leave for a good vacation the CCU census hits me across the face. It would be enough for me to consider a career change each time if it weren't for the reward of a week of freedom almost in my finger tips.

I remember a previous pre-vacation shift when I got a respiratory code from the floor which they brought in, newly intubated without giving nursing report, straight into the back room. When I got there he was not sedated and sitting in poop because the nurses were too afraid to turn him on the vent. I wanted to scream. Then when I tried to get some sedation orders, my least favorite resident at the time refused until they decided if they were going to extubate or not, leaving me with a 400 lb crazy man. To make matters worse, I was bad talking the resident with the RT later without knowing he has standing right behind me in the doorway. Then the confrontation began...I never have had a worse MD confrontation. I just wanted to cry. Luckily, the next week I was long gone and when I got back the resident had finished his residency and was long gone too in another state ;)

Thanks to awesome co-workers, I was relieved today a little early to do my frantic laundry and then packing!!!! I didn't realize that marriage meant packing for two for all trips, but at least he will have clean underwear and matching clothes!!!

We traded in the timeshare week and are staying at a nice resort in the Dominican Republic thanks to some awesome flight deals!!! I am stoked!!! We are spoiling ourselves for a year of hard work and saving for the house--we'll just call this our second honeymoon before we are open to the idea of a family. Could very possibly be our last good vacation for quite some time but we'll see :P
Unfortunately after we booked it we discovered that there is a required fee to cover all meals and drinks, making it "all inclusive." Too bad we will be forced to eat and drink to our hearts content. ha!

Hope to return with some sun, relaxed, refreshed, and ready to go at it again. We leave Saturday morning! woo woo

No comments:

Post a Comment