Monday, February 23, 2009

Our Vacation Adventure-Disaster

Things don't always go as expected...

John and I flew off to the Dominican Republic on Valentine's Day for a fun vacation away in the Caribbean to enjoy each other's company and the beautiful surroundings.

Well, our first few days went well. Slept in late Sunday and lounged on the beach. Beach was beautiful complete with a beach-side bar and pool. The staff was very friendly and I got to practice some long-lost Espanol.


We made sure we were careful about drinking bottled water, no fresh produce, etc. However, Tuesday I awoke from my post-lunch nap with probably the worst pain I've ever experienced in my abdomen. I medicated with the remedies I had but the pain continued to get worse and I continued to get a little more scared. Of course being the ICU nurse I am, I almost had myself convinced I had appendicitis or a bowel perforation and was already running the disaster plan through my head of how I could get myself back to a US hospital. Luckily the resort had a little medical clinic and with John's help I stumbled my way there. There was a young female doctor who knew just enough English to understand what my symptoms were. By the time she examined me I was in tears from the pain and so she recommended some IV pain treatment. At this point I was freaking out about 1. letting a foreign doctor access my vein and 2. the cost! I can't even begin to explain the desperation that intense pain brings so I eventually allowed it. I hadn't even heard of the medication and wow it stung like the dickens going in. Turns out, it is a potent NSAID that was made illegal in the US in the 1970's. haha
Finally within a few minutes I was getting some relief and had a chance to look around. It was a quaint, little one room clinic stocked with all the basic essentials--even an ancient but functional Lifepak! The doctor was young and I got a chance to chat--turns out she works there 24-7 from Mon to Fri and gets some relief on the weekends. No nurses, no help, just her. I was quite impressed by her and the place. But, she went on to tell me that if she didn't start treating me now it would get worse. I couldn't imagine worse so I got loaded up on some Flagyl, dramamine, immodium, and omeprazole and pain pills and was ready to go!



So I thought. Unfortunately John had booked a deep-sea fishing adventure for us to fulfill his dream of catching big fish since our honeymoon. We pushed to trip to Friday in hopes that I would be recovered by then. Friday morning came and I was feeling great so we headed off in our rental car to find the beach and the boat. We found our way to a parking lot where a ride was supposedly waiting for us...but wasn't. Silly Dominicans. We were running out of time so John was able to get us a quick taxi. Unfortunately, we had no idea where we were going!! We gave the driver our ticket and he made his best guess and dropped us off at a beach access down the road. Desperately, we ran out to the beach and saw plenty of boats but they were all out in the sea!!! John was frantically waving his hands for them to come back and began running down the beach! We made our way to a small crowd of tourists and figured out they were waiting for a fishing adventure too. We had found the group!!! I couldn't believe it! Rejoice! A quick ride out to the boat later we were on board ready to go. I think it was soon after they explained where the life vests and vomit buckets were that the sea sickness hit. I have never experienced sea sickness before...it just takes over your brain and the nausea seeps out of your skin it is so intense. The vomiting lasted for 5 hours straight. I remember thinking that I would give up my life savings if someone could just rescue me from that boat.


Eventually we made it back to land. My eyes were set on the coast the entire time in some desperate attempt to make it come sooner. Sadly no fish were caught that day either. Are you kidding me?

At this point on the walk back to our room when we made it back to the resort the tear juices were flowing. I was able to hold it together until we hit the room and it all just came out. My hopes were set on lifting off in that plane and getting back to the US safely.

Overall, I have to be an optimist in some way so here are some good things we came away with:
I was able to offer up many sufferings for the petitions of family, friends, and myself. I have a new respect and compassion for those that are suffering every day of their life in pain and nausea. Seriously.
I am so thankful to be home safely without any other incidents!
My husband is absolutely incredible and a huge source of comfort for me, physically and emotionally. I was so thankful to have him at my side the entire time!
We got a few good days of relaxation in a beautiful setting and lots of extra sleep!
I was able to experience the culture of a new country.



I think I need another vacation...ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment