After so much positive feedback from C's Baptism cupcakes we went cupcake crazy this year to bring along to some fun Christmas parties! I got this snowman idea from Martha Stewart.
The only thing I would do differently is make almond or peppermint buttercream icing instead, because as soon as I added the vanilla I regretted it: looked more like yellow snow next to the pure white marshmallows! So I dipped them in shiny clear sprinkles to lessen the damage :)
Many have asked for my vanilla buttercream recipe, I got it here.
I have off this year for Christmas (thank you Celia for being born at such a wonderful time!) I am enjoying living a home-y lifestyle this holiday season. (Most holidays vacation time is unheard of and I work half the holidays...makes relaxation and travel nearly impossible. If you know any hospital nurses, give them some love during the holidays!) This prompted me to decorate like crazy and tackle some family recipes. I was talking with Patrick Decker, and he nailed it on the head: perhaps once you have children of your own, you want to be able to pass things on to them. Hence my inspiration for some Lithuanian cookies. I grew up with these and other cookies every Christmas back when we would travel up to Pittsburgh to Nanny's house!
Anise Cookies
The first thing you need is a bottle of Anise Oil. Not easy to find. We had to special order it from a family run pharmacy in Downtown Charlottesville. It came in the very next day, most impressive!
6 eggs
3 cups sugar
2 cups mazola oil
14 cups flour sifted (yes you read that right)
1 tsp. salt
2.5 tsp baking soda
2.5 tsp baking powder
2 cups sour milk or buttermilk
3/4 tsp anise oil
And the directions verbatim from "Aunt Nell:"
1. Beat eggs well. Add sugar and mix well. Add oil and beat well. Add milk and anise oil.
2. Sift 4 cups flour and to this add baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. Add dry ingredients (#2) to step #1 liquid mixture. (Just the 4 cups flour to start)
Then you get this, but you aren't done yet!

Icing for Anise Cookies
Leave icing in bowl and dip cookies one at a time. Dip upside down and blow hole so it opens then take spoon and remove whatever runs down on sides.Icing for Anise Cookies
Ingredients:
1/2 box powdered sugar (AKA 2 cups)
1 tablespoon butter melted
boiling water
a couple drops of anise oil (to taste)
1/2 box powdered sugar (AKA 2 cups)
1 tablespoon butter melted
boiling water
a couple drops of anise oil (to taste)
You will use about 1 box powdered sugar for whole recipe. It is best to start with this 1/2 recipe or it becomes hard until you ice all the cookies (true that).
Now here is the thing. They don't specify how much boiling water. Or what to do with ingredients. Basically you get a small bowl and melt the butter then add the powdered sugar. Then you add the boiling water and mix until it is not too thick or too thin. I topped it off with 2 drops of anise oil at the end. You just have to get a feel for it. You want some transparency but not too much...so here are what mine looked like:
Is it worth the work? YES. Husband and friend approved. Makes enough to mail to family for Christmas, and take to 2 Christmas parties, and eat some everyday for a week. :) Now all you need is a shot of Veritas and you are a true Lithuanian!

No comments:
Post a Comment