Monday, May 24, 2010

Dave Ramsey Would Be Proud

I was doing our bills today, and did the math...our 3rd credit card will be payed off in full next month. Only 1 left. I don't want to count the debt we have payed off thus far in our marriage but hard work is paying off. I am going to ignore the fact that our last credit card has the highest balance. I am just ECSTATIC that we will only be making 1 credit card payment a month. The other good news is that my car payments will end right before baby is due.

In my heart I am thinking what financial freedom we will have! But my brain is telling me, now we can actually afford the baby and I might be able to cut back some hours at work. So overall our lifestyle will be about the same. I am NOT complaining.

We could take on the full-out Ramsey regimen, but I am not ready for that big a change. I can not give up take-out meals/eating out with us both working. I am not giving up social outings with hubby, family, and friends because those will go away soon enough. We are taking a real, 4-day beach vacation in July. But at the same time, other than the recent preggo clothing, we do not buy new clothes on a regular basis. I am always taking in hand-me downs from friends. We go to the outer shore rather than Europe for vacation. I have put fully decorating the house on hold until I can do it right. Baby will get lots of hand me downs, in fact, I will be surprised if I have to buy much of anything to prepare because of such devoted friends and family. I bought our last appliance at a habit for humanity thrift store. etc.

All in all, my motto has always been moderation. In politics, finances, and lifestyle.

From a financial standpoint, my main hope for my future family is that I can give them a life free from bad debt. We are on a pretty decent track for that. I am happy tonight :)

1 comment:

  1. Good job Lauren! I am a Dave Ramsey listener too but meals out are just too convenient to give up altogether to go all out Dave Ramsey style. He did have a segment recently about priorities in life and following goals to reach life dreams. It's about living life to the max along the journey. I have counted $26K that I have paid off since 2008 when I started listening to him. I still have $12.5K to go, but I am getting closer. The baby emergency fund has saved me I don't know how many times with car repairs. I know I didn't budget for so many car repairs in such a short stint, so I have had my murphey moments and then paid way too much stupid tax.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete