Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lent is Here!

I spent the last 2 days on a Youth Worker Retreat in Richmond and wow was it great to have some time to myself to reflect, especially at the beginning of Lent. My biggest fear was that Lent would sweep me by before I could get anything out of it.
I finally narrowed down my sacrifices this year: no alcohol, decaf/herbal tea only and no caffeinated sodas (unless needed for the safety of patient care or for driving!), weaning off the ambien, and I am starting to work on making fun of people less. I hate to say it, but that last one is so hard in nursing and church ministry...you run into a lot of crazies!! I try to give up something every Lent that will make me a better person, and this last one should be the most challenging in that regard. I am already starting to see how to appreciate people for who they are...and if all else fails...imagine that each person is Jesus.

My highlights of the retreat can be summed up in 3 things:
1. the beautiful chapel and the amazing prayer that it facilitated. The front and back walls were all glass and I spent mass with a backdrop of trees, sky, and gliding hawks. Talk about spiritual.
2. The ability to see where I have grown in my faith since the last retreat. I have come a long way in terms of acceptance, and filling the voids in my life with Jesus.
3. Complete and utter inspiration on one of the talks on the Eucharist. The idea that we offer up our sufferings and hardships in the bread and our joys and triumphs in the wine. The idea that because of that we make up a part of Communion...and the mystery of the Eucharist. Too many deep thoughts to even begin to put into words. I love it!

Praying that Lent is fruitful for us all.

1 comment: