Wednesday, November 11, 2009

2 years!

2 years!
Usually after this statement, most people would say "I can't believe time flies so fast!"

But for some reason, I am thinking, "only 2 years?" (In a GOOD way!!)

John and I got to a point my 4th year of college that we made it apparent to each other that there was mutual attraction. Yet, it still took him a few tries to actually ask me out. (He actually got up the guts to one day, drove back to UVA straight from Richmond with some Halloween candy, came to my front stoop, and I drove up seconds later with another guy. Kind of killed that moment.) Talk about awkward. Poor John didn't have a clue what was going on.

So when John and I were hanging out on UVA grounds later that month, I made it blatantly obvious that I liked him. He dropped me off at the Wash house and stayed in my foyer talking for too long even after repeated reminders that he was late for Life Teen Band rehearsal. Finally he sat on the edge of the couch with me and asked me to dinner. I said sure, well knowing that John Bedard's first move was asking a girl out to dinner. (We had been good friends for a few years and shared dating woes with each other) We were such extracurricular overachievers in college that we had to wait 2 weeks until our schedules would fit a dinner date.

Our first date was at Ludwigs, a German restaurant that has since closed. Sadness. John ordered us beer (he was 20, I was 21) and was relieved that the waiter didn't card him. To do a German date right, there had to be beer. He lucked out on that one. We had a good time, but with a hand-full of butterflies in our stomachs. A dinner date was mainly a formality for us to take the next step. We had been such good friends, but it was weird being on a formal "date" with him. He was trying to be cute at one moment and feed me ice cream on a spoon but I turned my head at the last second and he got it on my face instead. Aside from that, it went smoothly, and when we left the restaurant I think we both breathed a sigh of relief that we passed the formality. He put on a sweater, b/c I told him I loved it when guys wore sweaters in the fall because hugging them was really cozy. Then we danced in the street. I was slightly embarrassed but John is the hopeless romantic so I went with it, relaxed a bit, and smiled.

Long story short, ever since that first date that took 2 weeks to schedule, we have been pretty much inseparable. Except for some holidays and random travel, we have seen each other every day since that first date about 5 yrs ago. I still can't stand it when he leaves town without me.

I think that is why I say "only 2 years?" And perhaps that is a good thing that it feels like more, b/c hopefully we have made the best of all the time we have together. I look forward to many many more years!


(I also look forward to posting more wedding pics soon. I finally ordered all of our digital proofs. Can't wait to find those fun hidden pics that no one has seen!)


We celebrated this year similar to last year. We had our Ignite night at church, and we decided that it would be a good testament to our marriage to spend the day with our church community in adoration. We invited some friends over afterward for some traditional Chandler's cake. (I LOVE a good excuse for good dessert!!!) I forgot to take a picture, so I stole one. In light of our engagement story and wedding flowers, I got us a sunflower cake. It was delicious.


We will be celebrating this weekend as a couple. We hope to go hiking where we got engaged (please don't rain!) and then that evening we will be driving up to The Bavarian Chef, the closest German restaurant to us now. I hear it is delicious! I also hope to go computer shopping, as mine has been wigging out as of late. I am thinking of seriously switching to a Mac Book. :) We will see...

1 comment: