Thursday, August 20, 2009

Updates--Mom and Music

Wow, I thought the whirlwind is over and then we have just begun again.

Quick update on mom: Final results of the pathology report of the lumpectomy came back and unfortunately there are still some remaining cells in the margins. (translation= they didn't quite get it all)
This means that the recommended treatment from here would be 5 weeks of daily radiation plus tamoxifen. Mom has always been one for alternative therapy--as natural as possible, so the idea of this isn't too exciting to her or to us. After consulting with many women who have been on the drug, and recalling past experiences from our dear Aunt Karen, she has decided that is not the way for her.
So she promptly left her doctor and surgeon in Fairfax and marched right up to Johns Hopkins. (This is why I love her, she is always determined to find the best treatment) She made herself an appointment with the head of breast cancer treatment there and now we are starting on a new treatment journey.
First off, major kudos to John Hopkins Breast Center. They have the most streamlined treatment I have ever heard of, and got her in in a few days. In one visit, you are consulted with a genetic counselor, breast surgeon, oncologist and assistant of some sort (also a survivor herself), and a plastic surgeon. Like, whoa!! I'm sad I couldn't be there to meet all of them but sure I will in the future.
Long story short, through much prayer, mom has decided that her children are too young for her to be risking any chance of recurrence, or to be dealing with nasty side effects. She also is not willing at this age to accept anything less than a 93% change of full recovery and survival. She still has sons to raise and future grandchildren to meet (no I am not pregnant!...).
So, based on all this, we are looking at a double mastectomy. Yes, even for early stage.

wow, that was eventually expected but then again once it mulls over in our brains it is a double slap across the face. We are looking at some possible complicated surgery in the future if she goes the route of reconstruction.

Prayers are so much appreciated right now. Mainly for peace. Please Lord, calm her heart and mind and give her the reassurance that You are always protecting her. Prayers of thanksgiving for her doctors and the breast technician who fit her in into the schedule that day of her first mammogram, and that this was caught so early. Prayers that we might make the right decisions from here. Prayers for a speedy recovery whatever she decides.
As always we are still so thankful for all the support from our family and friends. Seton is doing some sort of novena for her and 3 other Seton loved ones battling cancer right now. I will post some more info as I get it on that.

Kind of related, I was reading the UVA Beyond Measure Magazine, and lo and behold UVA has a new clinic that was opened thanks to the Buchanan fund: the High Risk Breast and Ovarian Cancer Clinic. So I called them right up today and talked to the receptionist for a great while. She just had me in tears: that there is a support network here in town to help me with all of the stress in having so much breast cancer risk. I am feeling incredibly blessed to have stumbled across this. The clinic was started by a UVA breast surgeon who noticed that while treating breast cancer patients, there was a disconnect in following their family members who were also at risk. Chances for prevention and genetic counseling were falling through the cracks. He noticed too that primary care physicians kind of breeze through the exam, whereas breast specialists will take a lot more care and skill in the simple exam. So excited about this. I scheduled myself a consultation right up.


Life must go on, and it has been busy. Lots in the music ministry world to look forward to.

First off,
Ignite 242 is returning!! Get excited now! Our new web page is up: www.ignite242.com
The dates are listed on there but the main changes are that it is moving to TUESDAYs, and that it will be at St. Thomas Church now in the main hall. I hope to see many of you there Sept. 8 for the kick off of the fall semester. We are getting some awesome speakers lined up, and the prayers are intense as we discern where the Holy Spirit wants to take us this year.

Also, end of August I will be traveling with a few other band members to Texas for the Adore Leadership Summit. Can not wait to meet and pray with amazing worship leaders and hope to grow and learn a lot through it!!! I am sooo excited!

Apologies for my blogging funk. When there is a lot on my plate, I usually tend to sink into seclusion for awhile. I am hoping to keep up the writing through this, but if my posts are scant, just offer up a prayer for strength!!

2 comments:

  1. we are thinking about and praying for you and your mom!

    we love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa...I missed alot while I was gone. You guys are in my prayers. I am so happy that there are great resources available to your mom and your family!

    ReplyDelete