Seems as though I owe everyone an update, it has been a whirlwind of a month!!!
First off, I am so happy to share that mom had a successful surgery last Monday. She got a lumpectomy and lymph node biopsy. The best news is that the lymph nodes are clean!! (well, the preliminary results but I am trusting the final read will be clean as well!) I was happy John and I were able to get up there to see her off, and dad and I were able to sit with her in the PACU while she woke up a bit more. This has been a trying yet positive process. I am so incredibly thankful for all the prayers and warm wishes we have gotten and the support for mom back home with meals!! Although I would prefer it not be during doctors visits and waiting rooms in the hospital, I am thankful for some good bonding time with mom and dad. It felt good to be able to offer some help with my experience in health care as well. Mom has a few follow-up appointments this week and I'm hoping all goes well with that and we can seal the cancer deal for a long time now (if not, forever!)
I'm a little nervous about some genetic testing being done...meaning that if mom is positive then I have a chance to be positive too, but we will deal with that as it comes and if it even comes ;)
John and I just got back from the beach with the Bedard's! (As in, his parents, all 4 siblings and their families...a definite first!) We went to Oak Island, NC and I absolutely LOVED it there. We had a nice big beach house only a few blocks away from both the ocean and the salt marsh behind. I spent a lot of time sleeping in, lounging at the beach, and playing with nieces. The highlights are: learning how to catch crab with a string and net, getting obsessed with the Twilight series and reading over 1000 pages on the beach, a dinner out with just the sibs and spouses, and a 4 wheeling adventure with Matt and Laurie in their truck to a secluded beach on a nearby island. I would definitely go back to that area in a heart beat.
I worked the last 2 days and wow, it hit me across the face. I guess I was too used to the beach lifestyle b/c getting thrown back into the ICU, with charge duties, and lots of patient instability really wore me out. I felt like my brain was somewhere else and I was constantly a few hours behind. The good news is that despite that, I was able to push the residents for some much needed interventions, my patients eventually made improvement and I was able to help their families deal in a positive way. I am very happy to say that I took today off, and now have an extended weekend to relax again, this time with our good friends Nate and Margaret. We are renting out a cabin in Luray, VA and are looking forward to some kayaking, cavern exploring, and hot tubing! Perhaps I can mentally and physically prepare myself better for my next and final return back to the real world of full time ICU nursing next week :P

No comments:
Post a Comment