Attorney generals in 13 states have announced that they'll file a federal lawsuit challenging the new Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, saying it is unconstitutional to require Americans to buy health insurance.
And yet, we already require all drivers to hold car insurance. Sometimes it seems to me that we value our cars more than human lives.
I think that access to health care is a human right, meaning an integral part of the "right to life." I think that health care for the poor, especially the working poor, is pro-life. I would like to see us back up our pro-life values by getting excited about more access to prenatal care and hospital benefits for mothers.
I am praying that everything clears to uphold the Hyde Amendment principles-- by preventing federal funds going directly to elective abortions, and protections for pro-life institutions and workers. If so, my conscience as a pro-lifer and a nurse is clear and I see this bill as a victory.
I know many people don't agree with me, but I see too many hard working poor come in with devastating conditions because they would rather feed their family than buy their medications. Many of them are dying for health coverage but can't get it because they would have to stop working to qualify. I will not turn my back on them any longer. This is not a pity story, I see it every single day of my nursing life because I work at a state hospital in a rural area. It is life as I know it for many patients.
I am sick of Americans living in fear. This is not a socialist take over of all of our plans into one government plan. It is insurance reform. It is opening up free market insurance plans to all, offering subsidies for the poor. Most of us won't see any change in our coverage after this. Find out here
Sorry for those I have inevitably offended by this post. I respect everyone's opinion. I would like mine respected too.
I love this quote from the catechism and I will leave you with that for consideration.
Respect for health
2288 Life and physical health are precious gifts entrusted to us by God.
We must take reasonable care of them, taking into account the needs of others and the common good.
Concern for the health of its citizens requires that society help in the attainment of living-conditions that allow them to grow and reach maturity: food and clothing, housing, health care, basic education, employment, and social assistance.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

*applause*
ReplyDelete