Thursday, January 21, 2010

Winter Doldrums

Apologies for my blogging hiatus. I have had so much to share (holidays, New Years party, growing puppy, music ministry adventures) but so little motivation to write. I think us Bedard's are in a winter funk. On top of that, the health of family and friends is struggling. At least I've taken the funk energy and embraced my inner melancholy side, by contemplative reflection and prayer.

I think the biggest reason as of late though, is the tragedy in Haiti. Although I have never been there myself (was on the island, but other side), my dear friend Neil has put his time, talent, and soul into his church's medical mission there. I have spent countless hours hearing his stories, triumphs, and frustrations with their clinic in Port au Prince. Those stories have been replaced by panicked prayers for the missing, mourning for friends lost, and of the desperation of those now homeless and with no bread winner for their families. Their sister church lost their beloved pastor and matriarch, among many others. A UVA grad student and St. Thomas student parishioner was killed while home for the holidays. It has been especially hard for me to work here knowing of the desperate need for any emergency medical treatment there. God has put it on my heart to seek out a medical mission, but the realities of work and home commitments make that seem impossible.

Luckily, there are things we can do from here:
  • Donating to the organization Partner's in Health, who aside from providing emergency aid, will be able to continue medical aid long term after the disaster relief wears off.
  • Neil's church will be sending a mission group down next week. Please pray for them and contact him to help with any supplies, money, or prep they might need.
  • Pray.

On a happier note, Ignite 242 starts up again next Tuesday. We have our first practice tonight and I am so ready to jump back into that ministry. I have been contemplating God's plan as of late, and at times I laugh at my 2-faced life: ICU nursing by day and music ministry by night (and off days!). I guess it makes sense He has not sent us any children because this life takes up all my time, energy, and talent. And as much drama and exhaustion as they both come with, I wouldn't have it any other way for now. I have this feeling that God's pent up plans are in store, and I can't wait to see how that unfolds as life progresses. I am still amazed at where He has taken me so far.

Melancholy but overcome by grace, I am signing off for today. Hope to write again soon :)

1 comment:

  1. Lauren,
    Thank you for your prayers and support in this difficult time. I feel so blessed to have all-weather friends like you and john. This melancholy funk will be over soon.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete